Sunday, August 19, 2007

PDA's

Let me start off by saying that I do not have a PDA. I can understand their uses and how some people need to stay connected all the time. I have a friend who has everything connected to her PDA so she never misses anything. I don't want to be that connected. I like coming home and finding a message on my answering machine. I like not being bothered if I am out shopping or in class. I like driving without the radio on sometimes just to enjoy the piece and quiet. I am not saying that if I was a Dr. or well, there is no or, I think Dr.s need to be connected all the time but right now I can't think of another profession that needs to be connected that long.
Let's take into consideration that I live in a very rural community and I am a teacher. The only thing I am connected to during the day are my students. I know we will be connecting during our class time but not through a PDA.
I enjoy getting on the internet and blogging but until just recently I didn't even do that on a daily basis. I must admit I am hooked on the internet but that is when I am home and not trying to do other things.
Because I am not from a big city nor have I ever lived in a big city my point of view is very skewed. I think if I lived in Boston or NYC and had more than an hour commute to get home I might find it necessary to use a PDA and my point of view might be very different. Our younger generations are growing up with this technology and find it a necessity. I must admit keeping everything organized and accessible in one location is an attractive feature. If you would like to learn more about PDA's I found this site to be very helpful.
PDA's

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Pam,

I do not have a PDA either and I too like to be able to get away from it all from time to time. I have a long history on the computer for at least 8 hours a day so I am used to it as a tool for communication but I can say for sure things have changed more in the last 3 years than they had in the previous 20 I worked in high tech. The digital divide is real and it will be a problem for our students if they are left behind. No matter what role we have in schools, technology should be part.